Thoughtful Thursday & Motivation

Motivation

“I will never be able to lose weight.”
“It is just the way I am.”
“I always let myself down.”
“I just don’t have self-control.”
Do you have thoughts similar to these?
They feel so true.
However, thoughts like these are preventing you from achieving your dreams and goals.
The truth is - the motivation you are looking for is an inside job. 
You are your motivator.
And it starts with what you are choosing to think.
As you are heading into the new year, it is the perfect time to look at some of the thoughts that are holding you back.
Byron Katie developed a process of self-inquiry that includes 4 questions.
1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know that it is true?
3. How do you react when you believe that thought?
4. Who would you be without that thought?
After asking yourself these 4 questions, come up with a “turnaround”, a sentence that is the exact opposite of what you believe.
Could it be possible the opposite is true or even truer than the original thought?
Let’s look at one of the examples from above.
“I will never be able to lose weight.”  
1. Is it true?
Me:  Yes!
2. Can you absolutely know that it is true?
Me:  Well, no.  I have lost weight before. I have done it many times actually. I don’t know for certain that I can’t do it again.
3. How do you react when you believe that thought?
Me:  I talk to myself unkindly. I look for every flaw on body.  I don’t exercise or watch what I eat. Sometimes, I look for quick and unhealthy ways to lose weight. I look for evidence to prove that I can’t do it. I don’t create a plan to move forward in a healthy way. I buffer my negative emotions with food. I withdraw from certain activities because I am self-conscious. I don’t take care of myself physically or emotionally which prevents me from showing up in the relationships in my life as I would like to. I am self-focused. 
4. Who would you be without that thought?
Me:  I would create a plan for a healthy life style. I won’t be in a rush.  I will look to the future and how I want to feel. I would love and accept myself through the process.  I will notice and be grateful for the amazing things my body allows me to do. I would have more compassion for myself and learn from my mistakes.  I would participate in life like I want.  I would show up in the relationships in my life as the person I want to be. I would be more aware of others and how I can share goodness.
Turnaround: “I am able to lose weight.”
Answering the 4 questions before the “turnaround” is very important.
You aren’t going to jump from “I will never be able to lose weight” to “I am able to lose weight” right away.
It doesn’t feel believable.
The questions help your brain become open to the idea that another thought could be true.
The next step is to practice your “turnaround” thought.
And then practice it again.
And again.
Write it down and put it somewhere you can see it.
Remember, the original thought has been around for a long time so it is going to take some time to believe something new.
Give yourself permission to believe whatever you want. 
When you find yourself going to your old thought, pause and redirect to the new thought.
And guess what?
I believe in you. 
You got this.
That goal that you have been wanting to reach is available to you.
Great things are ahead in 2022!
Give it a try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday & Circumstances

Thoughtful Thursday & I Don't Know