Thoughtful Thursday & Finishing


 

In the past, I would never have really considered myself a perfectionist.

I wear sweats to the grocery store.

There are days I don’t comb my hair.

If you could only see my entry closet.

But, I have come to realize that perfectionism shows up in different ways.

Like starting a goal but never finishing it.

Or never starting because perfect is the only standard.

I love how Jon Acuff teaches about this in his book, Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done.

Mike Peasley, a researcher from the University of Memphis, approached Jon in 2016 about doing a study on what worked and what didn't’t work when it came to goal-setting.

What he learned from this study changed his whole perspective.

No matter the goal,

“The less that people aimed for perfect, the more productive they became.”

I used to think that in order to reach my goals I just needed to push myself

By doing more.

Trying harder.

Applying the latest tips or tricks to be more productive, organized or manage my time better. 

This thinking created frustration, shame, and unrealized goals.

I was believing what Jon calls the first lie of perfectionism.

IF things arena’t perfect, quit. 

Implying that perfection is even possible.

IF you did’t follow your eating plan today…..

Quit.

IF you did’t stick to your schedule this week……
 
Quit.

IF you slept in later than you planned...

Quit.

But the truth is you will not be perfect in your goal.

You will make mistakes.

You will fail.

And WHEN you aren’t perfect in your goal, that’s okay.

WHEN you make mistakes and fail —

You will find yourself at what Jon calls “The Day After Perfect.”

This can happen on day 2, 10 or 20.

You can either quit or ask yourself —

“Now what?”

“What did I learn that will help me move forward?”

WHEN you can embrace that imperfection is part of the goal-setting process,

Real growth and finishing can happen. 

Give it a try.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday & Circumstances

Thoughtful Thursday & Motivation

Thoughtful Thursday & I Don't Know